Delivering natural gas to Somerset County, Maryland, to support environmentally conscious economic growth
Delivering Natural Gas to Somerset County
Service Expected to ECI and UMES
Renewable natural gas injected into the distribution system
Chesapeake Utilities and Eastern Shore Natural Gas Company are responsible for developing the Somerset County Expansion Project. These local companies have been safely delivering natural gas to customers on the Delmarva Peninsula for 160+ and 60+ years, respectively, and are invested in the best outcome for the communities they serve.
Natural gas offers significant economic benefits to Somerset County, Maryland, and the region.
- Delivering natural gas to Somerset County will support more than 1,300 construction jobs over the next decade and more than $7 million in new wages as a result of lower energy costs.
- Commercial and industrial customers who convert from heating oil to natural gas on average save more than $12,000 annually.
Ocean City, Maryland,
completed its conversion from propane gas to natural gas in 2020. This reduced CO2 emissions to the equivalent of removing 600 CARS from the road.
is one of three Maryland counties without access to natural gas.
Natural gas is an environmentally friendly choice
From The Road
- By transitioning to natural gas, the Eastern Correctional Institution and University of Maryland Eastern Shore will reduce their site CO2 emissions by 65% and 38%, respectively.
- These emissions reductions are equal to removing over 11,000 cars from the road.
- ECI will reduce its emissions of particulate matter (such as dust, dirt and soot) by 99.5%.
- The project will facilitate the delivery of renewable natural gas, which is a community-oriented solution for organic waste and surface water pollution challenges that also provides clean energy.
Learn more about the Somerset County Expansion Project and natural gas on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
We Want to Hear From You
Please use the form below to share any comments or questions you have about the Somerset Natural Gas project.